May is this the best month to hike Inca Trail to Machu Picchu? May is the month where the rains are gone and the dry season is coming, also the tourist attractions are still with little crowd during this month compared to the high season months from June to October. It is a sunny month with little cold.
The right time to be in Machupicchu in this month is: the first time to visit is at 6 am with few people before the crowds arrive by train and the other time is after 2 pm is when the visitors have already left the wonder of Machupicchu.
Weather in May in Cusco
- May is the end of the rainy season, but also the tickets to Machupicchu are sold out quickly.
- If it is true that the rains are gone, sometimes in the mornings it is cloudy.
- Practically May is the month where the high season begins so it is difficult to get tickets to Machupicchu, trains, flights, etc.
- The temperature in May is: 11C to 25C.
Why hike Inca Trail in May?
May is a good time to hike the Inca Trail because the weather is typically dry and mild. The dry season in this region of Peru runs from April to October, so you can expect relatively little rain during this time of year. The days are also not too hot, so you should be able to comfortably complete the hike. Additionally, May is not the busiest time of year for tourism in Peru, so you may have a more peaceful and uncrowded experience on the trail.
- You can see the sunrise and sunset.
- The most important tourist places are with few people.
- Sunny days most of the time.
- Very little rain from time to time. When it rains.
- Better visibility of the mountains surrounding Machupicchu, you can even see the famous Salkantay climbing the Huaynapicchu.
Why NOT hike the Inca Trail in May?
- The buses in this season both up and down from Machupicchu can take up to an hour to wait because of the amount of people.
- Few flowers and little green already in the fields near Machupicchu.
- Be prepared to see more people at every destination you visit in Cusco.
Here are a few recommendations for hiking the Inca Trail in May:
- Pack layers: May can be warm during the day and cooler at night, so it’s a good idea to bring layers that you can easily add or remove as needed.
- Wear sturdy, comfortable shoes: You will be walking for several hours each day, so it’s important to wear shoes that will support your feet and keep you comfortable.
- Bring plenty of water: It’s important to stay hydrated during the hike, so make sure to bring enough water to last the entire day.
- Protect yourself from the sun: Sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses will all be helpful in protecting you from the sun’s rays.
- Book your tour in advance: The Inca Trail is a popular destination, and tours can fill up quickly, especially during peak season. It’s a good idea to book your tour well in advance to ensure that you get a spot.
- Be prepared for physical activity: The Inca Trail is a challenging hike, so it’s important to be in good physical shape and to train beforehand if possible.
Quick Links for the Inca Trail by Months
- Hiking the Inca Trail in March
- Hiking the Inca Trail in April
- Hiking the Inca Trail in June
- Hiking the Inca Trail in July
I am founder and content creator of Lorenzo Expeditions, since 2006 I started with the Inca Jungle tour, guiding and serving thousands of tourists in a personal way to get to know Machu Picchu in a unique and authentic way.