On March 1st the Inca Trail will be reopened for the whole year, after the maintenance it had in the month of February, it is now operational and ready to be traveled by thousands of tourists. Even though March is still the rainy season, the Inca Trail is reopened. This is the month where you can see wildlife since February was free of tourists in this area and the animals returned to walk feeling the tranquility of these places. This is also the rainy season, always wear waterproof clothes, you will have sunny days but from one moment to the next it can change to torrential rains.
Keep in mind that if Easter Week is in March, reservations must be made in advance.
March is the third month of the year with heavy rains, just for the Holy Week holidays tickets are sold out, make sure the date of these holidays, sometimes it is in March and sometimes in April. Temperatures range between 5 and 18 degrees Celsius (42 and 65 F).
Why hike Inca Trail in March?
- Just because it is the month of MARCH, you will find everything new and clean, be it bridges, roads, baths, camp sites, etc.
- Lots of flowers and orchids on the road.
- Safe and well maintained roads.
- Everything is green on the roads and in the valleys.
- We will walk with few people.
- We will be able to see many rainbows.
- We will be able to see many rainbows along the route.
Why NOT hike the Inca Trail in March?
- The stairs are slippery at this time of year.
- There is constant rain.
- For photos many places can be foggy.
- Train tracks can be blocked by landslides.
- If you are planning to visit MACHUPICCHU in the month of March, we recommend that it is at the end of the month, that is, from the 20th of MARCH.
- Adequate clothing for this rainy season, raincoats, raincoats, etc..
- Arrive at MACHU PICCHU after 9am. Because before that it will surely be foggy or rainy.
- Never carry mosquito repellent, mosquitoes will always be there all year round.
Quick Links for Inca Trail by Months
- Hiking Inca Trail in January
- Hiking Inca Trail in February
- Hiking Inca Trail in April
- Hiking Inca Trail in May
I am founder and content creator of Lorenzo Expeditions, since 2006 I started with the Inca Jungle tour, guiding and serving thousands of tourists in a personal way to get to know Machu Picchu in a unique and authentic way.