June is the best month of the year to visit Machu Picchu and do the Inca Trail 4 days and Inca Trail 2 days because it enjoys an excellent climate with no rain and totally sunny days. The only drawback is the massive arrival of visitors for the vacations throughout the northern hemisphere and summer throughout the United States, Canada and Europe.
If you arrive to Machu Picchu in the morning you will be able to appreciate the sunrise and in the afternoon there are few people and you can even stay longer in the citadel of Machu Picchu. Do not forget the sunsets are spectacular in the Llaqta.
What you should take into consider:
- June is already high season to visit Machupicchu and the Inca Trail.
- Both trains and entrance tickets to Machupicchu must be booked at least 6 months in advance.
- Minimal rain chances in June.
- Good month for outdoor activities such as 4-day Inca Trail and others.
- Radiant sunshine during the day and its cool nights.
Why hike Inca Trail in June?
- The photos that will be taken from the Puerta del Sol will be the best because of the clarity of these June days.
- The natural viewpoint of Huayna Picchu will always be clear of clouds for guaranteed views and pictures.
- The day June 21 is celebrated the winter solstice which can be enjoyed in Machupicchu and explained by the guides.
Why NOT hike the Inca Trail in June?
- Much cold in the early hours of the day 6am and all night.
- Hotels without spaces, always full.
- Many queues to enter machupicchu and to take the bus in Aguas Calientes.
- Always wear warm jackets and gloves even if it is a sunny day, the weather is unpredictable, even if it is sunny the cold is constant.
- Do not forget your sunglasses, sunscreen, water and sneakers for your hikes.
- Wide-brimmed hat to avoid getting sunburned.
- Reserve the tour and others in advance since June is the anniversary month of. Cusco and the Inti Raymi festival.
Quick Links about Inca Trail by Months
- Hiking the Inca Trail in April
- Hiking the Inca Trail in May
- Hiking the Inca Trail in July
- Hiking the Inca Trail in August
I am founder and content creator of Lorenzo Expeditions, since 2006 I started with the Inca Jungle tour, guiding and serving thousands of tourists in a personal way to get to know Machu Picchu in a unique and authentic way.