March is still the month of rains and is even the month with more rainfall; especially in the evenings and nights. This month is a low season with good prices in tours and hotels. The fields are totally green for unforgettable photos. Of course there are sunny days but not all the day is rain.
Best time of the day
Between 9 am – 14 hrs is the best time to visit the wonder Machu Picchu, before this time or after it will be cloudy or drizzling, you have to be prepared. Actually March is the last month with rains but still heavy. The temperature is pleasant in this month with warm days plus one if the sun comes out it will be very hot days. The temperature is from 12 degrees Celsius to 22 degrees.
Why visit Machu Picchu in March?
- There are few people in Machupicchu.
- There will be no queues or long waits at the buses and entrances to the archaeological sites.
- There are offers on tours and trains, as well as hotels.
- You can even travel without making a reservation, there will always be spaces.
- Many butterflies appear and because of the constant rains you will witness several rainbows.
Why you should not go to Machu Picchu in March?
- Climbing Huayna Picchu and Machupicchu Mountain will have to be very careful because of the slippery stones.
- There may be slides in the archaeological groups.
- The first hours of the visit will always be cloudy.
- Many mosquitoes appear in this month.
- Do not forget to bring insect repellent.
- Arrive at Machupicchu after 9 am.
- Bring waterproof clothes and umbrellas.
- The best time to visit in March is at the end of the month.
- March is low season but if it is Easter you should book in advance.
Other months to visit Machu Picchu
I am founder and content creator of Lorenzo Expeditions, since 2006 I started with the Inca Jungle tour, guiding and serving thousands of tourists in a personal way to get to know Machu Picchu in a unique and authentic way.