January is a month of rains and little sunshine so Machupicchu is humid and tropical where it is recommended to visit by train but not hiking. There will be rainy days even though the sun always appears from time to time.
If you are planning to climb the natural viewpoints such as Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain it is not recommended to do so, because the stones are slippery and dangerous.
- If you are planning to visit Machu Picchu this season you should bring light and quick drying clothes.
- This season is very rainy and prone to landslides and road closures.
- Generally rainy afternoons, it is recommended to visit Machu Picchu in the mornings.
- It is low season, compared to months like June or July.
- Photographs and views are limited due to the presence of clouds.
- Prices are good for low season.
- January is humid and warm in Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu.
- The average temperature is: 14 degrees to 25 degrees Celsius.
The recommended schedule in the month of January is from 8 am to 2pm then it is always cloudy or raining.
Why visit Machu Picchu in January?
- Tickets to Machupicchu are always easy to get even at the last minute.
- No queues at the buses and access to Machupicchu.
- Green mountains, presence of many orchids and a lot of flowers on the route to Machupicchu.
- Machupicchu will be seen with little presence of people and the best photos will be taken.
- Pleasant climate, there is little cold in this season.
- In this month you can get the best travel and hotel offers
Why you should not go to Machu Picchu in January?
- It is better to go up to Machupicchu by bus, because if you do it walking from Aguas Calientes you will get wet due to the presence of a lot of rain.
- If you arrive at Machupicchu early as 6 or 7 am you will see a lot of fog, it is better to wait a little longer.
- Remember the stones on the road to Machupicchu are slippery these months, be careful when walking and bring good shoes with non-slip soles.
- Roads and train tracks are blocked by landslides that happen because of the rains.
- Sundays are free entrance for Cusqueños so you will see Machupicchu with many people.
- 9 am is a recommended time until 2 pm because then it will be cloudy or raining.
- Take care of your equipment from the rain like cell phones and cameras always carry plastic bags to protect them.
- Good walking shoes will make the experience more enjoyable.
- Don’t forget to bring rain coats or umbrellas.
- If you arrive to Machupicchu after Christmas or New Year’s there will be a lot of people especially the first week of January, do it after January 10th.
Related months to visit Machu Picchu
I am founder and content creator of Lorenzo Expeditions, since 2006 I started with the Inca Jungle tour, guiding and serving thousands of tourists in a personal way to get to know Machu Picchu in a unique and authentic way.