When certain altitudes are exceeded, such as the Altitude of Machu Picchu, oxygen begins to decrease noticeably, and many visitors who have not experienced this before often feel symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath and nausea.
This generally occurs when you exceed 8,202 feet (2,500 masl) in Peru, this condition is known as Soroche and more popularly as altitude sickness, you can experience this when you visit the city of Cusco located at 3,400 masl but there is no reason fear, there is always a solution for every inconvenience.
Machu Picchu and its tourist attractions
Machu Picchu has several tourist attractions such as: The citadel of Machu Picchu itself, Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountains and the site museum of the place.
The Inca city as well as both mountains that can be climbed are located within the Historic Sanctuary and are protected by the Peruvian State.
Where is the citadel of Machu Picchu located?
The complex is located to the east of the Peruvian Andes surrounded by abundant vegetation typical of the Andean tropical forest, which is the strategic place where the citadel is located.
It belongs to the department of Cusco, province of Urubamba and district of Aguas Calientes. It is located 80 km from the Imperial city of Cusco, the historical capital of Peru and the central point of the Inca empire.
To the north of the ruins is the famous Huayna Picchu mountain which is an additional journey if you wish to visit it, to the east the Machu Picchu Mountain which can also be climbed.
Towards the front of the citadel of Machu Picchu, is the Putucusi mountain.
At what altitude is Machu Picchu located?
The historic citadel of Machu Picchu is located at an altitude of 7,972 feet or 2,430 meters above sea level.
At this altitude it is not very frequent to suffer from the discomfort that altitude generates.
At what altitude is the Huayna Picchu mountain located?
This peak is located at 8,923 feet or 2,720 masl.
At this altitude it is possible to experience negative symptoms of altitude sickness.
At what altitude is the Machu Picchu mountain located?
This other peak rises much higher, being located at an altitude of 10,111 feet or 3,082 meters above sea level.
At this altitude, a large number of visitors feel the symptoms of altitude sickness such as shortness of breath.
At what altitude is the Huchuy Picchu mountain located?
This is the peak that is located next to the Huayna Picchu mountain in the classic photos of the citadel, it rises to 8,192 feet or 2,497 meters above sea level.
Altitude sickness symptoms at this altitude are not common.
At what altitude is the town of Aguas Calientes located?
This town is located at 6,692 feet or 2,040 meters above sea level.
At this altitude you do not suffer from altitude sickness.
At what altitude is the city of Cusco located?
Cusco is located at about 11,151 feet or 3,399 masl.
At this altitude, it is common for visitors to feel affected by altitude sickness, and have symptoms such as fatigue, a feeling of discomfort, shortness of breath, and nausea.
What is the altitude of other cities in Peru?
|City||altitude in feet||altitude in meters Over|
the level of sea
|Lime||328 ft.||100 msnm|
|Arequipa||7,660 ft.||2,335 msnm|
|Puno||12,555 ft.||3,827 msnm|
|iquitos||328 ft.||100 msnm|
|Piura||95 ft.||29 msnm|
|Ica||1,332 ft.||406 msnm|
|Trujillo||111 ft.||34 msnm|
|Chiclayo||88 ft.||27 msnm|
|Cajamarca||9,022 ft.||2,750 msnm|
|Pucallpa||505 ft.||154 msnm|
|Ayacucho||9,058 ft.||2,761 msnm|
|Tarapoto||1,167 ft.||356 msnm|
Recommendations to avoid altitude sickness in Machu Picchu
- In Machu Picchu tourists can experience altitude sickness (soroche).
- This discomfort is usually experienced when a height of 2,500 meters is exceeded.
- The peaks of the Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountains would be the only places where tourists are more likely to experience this evil.
- To avoid this discomfort, try to acclimatize to the city’s climate for a couple of days before to take a long journey that demands your body.
- To prevent this discomfort it is good to be well hydrated all the time and drink mate of coca leaf, a traditional drink from Cusco that regenerates energy and increases the absorption of oxygen in the blood.
- In general, few visitors to the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu suffer this evil.
- Once you have acclimatized in Cusco or in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, do not You should have problems with the altitude of Machu Picchu.
- In Machu Picchu you can still feel breathless on your tour of the site. Sin However, the risk of altitude sickness is reduced at that altitude.
Questions and answers about the altitude in Machu Picchu
1. How high is Machu Picchu?
Machu Picchu is located at 2,430 meters above sea level.
2. How high is the mountain Huayna Picchu?
The Huayna Picchu mountain is located at 2,693 meters above sea level.
3. How tall is the Machu Picchu mountain?
Machu Picchu mountain is located at 3,082 meters above sea level.
4. How high is the Huchuy Picchu mountain?
The Huchuy Picchu mountain is located at 2,497 meters above sea level.
5. At what height is the town of Aguas Calientes?
The town of Aguas Calientes is 2,040 meters above sea level.
6. At what altitude is the city of Cusco?
The city of Cusco is located at 3,399 meters above sea level.
7. At what altitude do the symptoms of altitude sickness appear?
Altitude sickness or mountain sickness can occur in people who are located at altitudes above 2,500 meters
above sea level.
8. How high is the highest mountain in Cusco?
The Ausangate is the highest mountain in Cusco. Its summit is 6,384 meters above sea level.
9. How tall is the mountain of 7 colors?
The Vinicunca or mountain of the 7 colors is located at 5,200 meters above sea level.
10. At what height is Sacsayhuaman?
The archaeological site of Sacsayhuaman is located at 3,600 meters above sea level.
I am founder and content creator of Lorenzo Expeditions, since 2006 I started with the Inca Jungle tour, guiding and serving thousands of tourists in a personal way to get to know Machu Picchu in a unique and authentic way.