October is the month of beginning of low season and arrival of the rains although in smaller proportion, the sunny days are mixed with some rains, the cold nights are disappearing and the humid and warm weather arrives, few visitors in Machu Picchu, highly recommended as well as the month of April, both are low season and good prices on tours.
Best time of the day
The best time to visit Machu Picchu is from 8 am because before it can be cloudy, then it will be cloudless and the photos will be the best souvenir of your visit.
- The temperature this season is: 10-28 degrees Celsius, pleasant weather with little cold at night, the rains can come in the afternoon so we recommend visiting Machu Picchu during the day.
- Good prices with offers in hotels and tours.
- The first days of the month are good to visit Machupicchu, the last days there will be more rain.
- Always bring sunscreen and mosquito repellent.
Why visit Machu Picchu in October?
October is a good time to visit Machu Picchu for a few reasons:
- Shoulder season: October marks the end of peak tourist season, which means fewer crowds and more manageable visitor numbers.
- Possibility of experiencing less rainfall: October is considered the start of the rainy season in Peru, but it is not yet the heaviest. The chance of experiencing rainfall is still lower than the upcoming months, making it a good time for hiking and sightseeing.
- Availability of Inca Trail permits: You will have a good chance of getting a permit to trek the Inca Trail, which is closed during February for maintenance.
- It is a good opportunity for photography: October can be suitable for photography, thanks to the lush greenery and the possible cloud formations caused by the rainfall.
- It is a chance to discover the rich Inca culture: October is a good time to learn and explore the history, archaeology, and Inca culture through guided tours and learning experiences.
- Lower prices: As the peak season ends, prices of travel and lodging could decrease, giving a budget-friendly option to visit Machu Picchu.
- Machu Picchu by Train
- Classic Inca Trail 4 Days
- Short Inca Trail 2 Days
- Sakantay Trek 5 Days
- Inca Jungle Trek 4 Days
Why you should not go to Machu Picchu in October?
While there are some good reasons to visit Machu Picchu in October, there are also some potential downsides to consider:
- Rainy season: October is the start of the rainy season in Peru, which means that there is a higher chance of experiencing rainfall and inclement weather, which can make hiking and sightseeing difficult.
- Trail closures: Heavy rainfall can lead to landslides and trail closures, which can make it difficult to access Machu Picchu or certain parts of the site.
- Reduced visibility: Rainy and cloudy weather can reduce visibility and make it difficult to see the site and the surrounding scenery. This can impact the overall experience of visiting Machu Picchu.
- Reduced photography opportunities: Rainy weather can reduce the opportunities to take good pictures of the site and the surroundings.
- Increased humidity: Rainy weather also increases the humidity which can make it uncomfortable for some visitors to be outside for an extended period of time.
Other months to visit Machu Picchu
I am founder and content creator of Lorenzo Expeditions, since 2006 I started with the Inca Jungle tour, guiding and serving thousands of tourists in a personal way to get to know Machu Picchu in a unique and authentic way.