In our quest to offer the best experience in the Salkantay Trek. We know that facing the challenges of this trip to Machu Picchu requires careful preparation. Therefore, we provide you with a detailed and essential list to ensure that your adventure is not only memorable, but also comfortable.
- Choosing the right backpack is crucial for doing the Salkantay Trek, one of the most impressive trekking routes in the Peruvian Andes. Opt for a 30 to 60-liter Osprey backpack, durable and lightweight. With well-organized compartments, it ensures sufficient space without sacrificing comfort. Remember, your backpack will be your portable home; make it durable and comfortable.
- Don’t forget to carry your original passport, essential for access to Machu Picchu. Secure it in Ziploc bags to protect it from humidity.
- Trekking poles: They provide stability on uneven terrain, reducing stress on legs and knees.
- Sleeping Bag: Nights can be cold, so be sure to pack a good sleeping bag rated to -10°C (-4°F).
- Inflatable Mattresses: Inflatable mattresses provide additional comfort during rest.
Clothing and Footwear: Comfortable and resistant.
- Fleece Jacket: For cold nights, a warm fleece jacket is a must.
- Trekking Shirts: Trekking shirts, with UPF protection, will provide the necessary comfort during the trek.
- Convertible Hiking Pants: Ideal for adapting to different climates on the hike.
- Base Layers: Opt for materials such as merino wool or synthetics that absorb sweat and regulate temperature, to keep you warm even when wet.
- Mountain Boots and Sneakers/Sandals: Make sure you have good support and lightweight options for resting at campsites.
- Hiking Socks: Keep your feet comfortable and avoid blisters with merino wool hiking socks.
- Bathing Suit: Relax in the hot springs of Cocalmayo and the town of Aguas Calientes. Don’t forget to pack your bathing suit, as you will find two hot springs along the way. These volcanic waters are the perfect place to relax after a day of hiking.
Accessories for Protection: Sun and Cold
- Hat or Cap: Protect your face from the sun with a wide-brimmed hat and wear a bennie or winter hat for cold nights.
- Sunglasses: UV protection for the intensity of the sun at high altitudes.
- Buff or Neck Gaiter: Versatile for various weather situations. adds protection from dust and wind, providing additional functionality to your gear.
- Gloves: Ensure your hands are protected with hiking gloves during the day and warm gloves for cold nights.
Hygiene and Health Items: Essentials
- Alcohol Gel and Toilet Paper: Keep your hands clean and make sure you have bathroom supplies.
- Basic First Aid Kit: Sunscreen, insect repellent, pain relievers and supplies to treat minor injuries.
- Quick Dry Towel: In the humidity, a towel that dries quickly is essential.
Electronics: Mountain Power
- Portable Chargers: Essential for keeping your devices charged.
- Phone and Camera Protection: Waterproof bags to protect your gadgets in unpredictable weather.
Preparing for the Salkantay Trek is a serious commitment. With this comprehensive checklist, you will not only face the challenges with confidence, but also ensure an unforgettable experience.