The Mountain of Colors, also known as Vinicunca or simply ‘rainbow mountain,’ stands as one of Peru’s most outstanding and recent attractions. Located more than 100 kilometers from the city of Cusco, at an imposing altitude of 5,200 meters above sea level (m.a.s.l.), this mountainous formation captivates visitors with its splendid palette of colors, the result of the complex combination of minerals that dye its slopes and summits with hues that include red, purple, green, yellow, and pink, among other shades.
History and Popularity
Until a few years ago, this wonder was hidden under blankets of ice. Since 2016, the Mountain of Colors has experienced a tourism boom, receiving hundreds of visitors daily. On par with Machu Picchu, it has become one of the most visited destinations in Cusco, Peru.
How to get to the Mountain of Colors from Lima
Option 1: By Air
- The fastest way to get to Cusco is via a flight from Lima’s Jorge Chavez Airport. Several daily flights offer a journey of just over an hour, with departures mostly before 11 a.m. Opting for an early flight provides the opportunity to plan a full day of adventures upon arrival. However, it is suggested to take it easy to acclimatize to the altitude.
Option 2: By Land – Bus
For those seeking a more leisurely experience, the bus ride from Lima to Cusco reveals magnificent scenery. Two routes stand out:
- The fastest: From Lima through Nazca and Abancay in 18-21 hours.
- The most extensive: from Lima to Nazca, which passes through Arequipa in 24-27 hours, allowing you to explore these cities in stages.
Tips for getting to the Mountain of Colors from Cusco
The safest and most comfortable way to reach this natural wonder is through a reliable travel agency, such as Lorenzo Expeditions.
- Pick up: Between 4:00 a.m. and 4:30 a.m., we will pick you up at your hotel in Cusco.
- Travel: During approximately 2 hours in tourist transport we arrive at Pitumarca, the village where we have breakfast.
- Hike: In another hour the entire group begins the two to three hour hike to the summit of the 7 Colors Mountain.
- Exploration: We will enjoy unique landscapes, spot South American camelids and capture the essence of this enigmatic place.
- Return: We will return to the starting point and take tourist transport to Pitumarca for lunch.
- Return to Cusco: Around 5:00 p.m., we will arrive back to Cusco, completing a day full of unforgettable experiences.
- We are a travel agency specialized in tour packages. If you would like to get more information or book your experience, please do not hesitate to contact us. We offer tours in both Peru and Bolivia.
In short, the Mountain of Colors not only arouses curiosity with its vibrant hues, but also offers a unique experience from the trip itself. Let us guide you on this unforgettable adventure to one of Peru’s most impressive natural treasures.