The Salkantay Trek To Machu Picchu 5 Days
This less crowded route (Salkantay Trek) takes us through the Peruvian Andes, crossing valleys, snow-covered mountains and part of the high jungle before reaching reach Machu Picchu. The Inca Trail through the Nevado Salkantay is one of the most adventure treks in Perú, where our client challenges his own limits to enjoy this unparalleled landscape.
Join our expeditions and enjoy the less traveled Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu.
Itinerary for Salkantay Trek 5 days
We will leave Cusco at 5:00 am, in the private mobility of Lorenzo Expeditions to Mollepata (3 850 masl.)( 12,631.23 ft.).
We will arrive at our destination around 07:30 a.m., where we will stop for forty minutes for a complimentary breakfast. Here we will me our chef and muleteer, who will assist us during our expedition (salkantay trek tour).
We will then travel one hour by bus to Soraypampa where we will start our first day of hiking. Our hour and a half hour hike up will take us to the very famous Humantay Lagoon, where we will enjoy one of the most beautiful views that this trek has to offer.
After visiting this lagoon, a one hour descent finds us our lunch point. After a short rest we will continue the trek for three hours until we reach our first camp site in Suyruccocha at an altitude of (4 300 masl.)(14,107.61 ft.).
Around 05:30 pm we will have our “HAPPY HOUR”, where you will drink famous coca tea to counteract the altitude sickness. Here our guide will explain a bit more about the beautiful area that surrounds us.
We will then take a moment to appreciate the Andean night sky and the snowy peaks of Salkantay and Humantay an experience that only exists at this campsite. After dinner, our guide will give us the details for the next day of the tour.
The following day we will reach the highest point of our trek and for many it is highest hiking altitude of their lives!
(B, L and D/ Camp).
After breakfast we will prepare for our ascent. We will do different stretching exercises to avoid any physical injuries because this day will be our longest and hardest yet. Our reward will be reaching the highest point of our tour.
Our ascent will be an hour and a half from our camp to the Salkantay pass (4,600 masl.) (15,091.68 ft.). During the ascent, we will be able to appreciate the different snowcapped mountains that surround us. At the same time, we will experience the change of ecological zones from the Quechua area to the Puna zone.
If the weather favors us, we can appreciate the majestic Apu Salkantay (6 500 masl.) (21,325.46 ft.), which is one of the most important mountains within the Inca religion. At this point, our guide will explain the importance of this Inca Trail (salkantay trek) and also the role that these majestic mountains had for our ancestors.
We will continue our hike descending to the small town of Huayraq, where we can rest and enjoy our snacks included in the tour. From this point the climate, vegetation and views will change drastically because for the second time we will move from one ecological zone to another.
We will now enter an area full of orchids, medicinal plants and bamboo plantations. Here we will stop for lunch and after a break, we will continue with the descent to our second camp in the town of Collpapampa.
At the campsite, we will have the “HAPPY HOUR” and then dinner.
(B, L and D / Camp).
Today will be unforgettable and unlike anything you have seen before! During the hike we will see a great variety of flora and fauna as we pass through different agricultural fields of local people, giving us a chance to appreciate the local vegetation.
The terrain this day is smoother, with moderate ups and downs, and most importantly, a lower altitude than the previous days.
Along the way we will have the opportunity to appreciate different rivers whose headwaters are in the nearby snowy mountains, as well as some waterfalls.
The change of climate will be a unique experience, because we will move from the icy cold of the previous days to a warm and humid climate characteristic of the jungle or high jungle brow.
We will arrive at our campsite at lunchtime. In the afternoon we will visit the house of a local family, heirs to the local traditions in agriculture techniques. In this visit we will learn about the economy and how it is dependent upon agriculture crops mainly that of coffee.
They will teach us how to produce Peruvian organic coffee (Cusco coffee), which in recent years has won several international awards. We will also have the option of visiting the thermal baths of Cocalmayo, by way of local transport.
You can coordinate with your guide at this time if you wish to visit the hot springs. Transportation and entrance fees are not included in the tour.
At night we will have dinner and coordinate with our guide for the next day.
(B, L and D / Camp).
After breakfast we will begin the hike along a historically important part of the Inca trail, not only did it connect Machu Picchu with the jungle, but it was also used as an escape route by many of the inhabitants of Machu Picchu during the conquest.
The two-hour ascent will be gradual to the top of the mountain, where the archaeological site of Llactapata (2,740 masl.) (8,989.5 ft.) is located.
The most majestic quality of this site is that it offers us our first glimpse of Machu Picchu and Mt. Huayna Picchu in the distance. From this point you can also see part of the traditional Inca trail, the main connection between the sacred valley and Machu Picchu.
After a well-deserved rest, we will continue with the hike (now all downhill) until the banks of the Aobamba river whose headwaters are from the snowcaps of Salkantay.
From there we will walk through this valley until we reach the hydroelectric power station and the government control point to enter the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. Here we will enjoy a lunch prepared by our adventure chef.
The last three hours of the trek will be along the banks of the Vilcanota River until reaching the town of Aguas Calientes.
We will spend our last night in the company hotel. At night we will have a dinner with our group and the coordinators, looking forward to the most important day of our trip our visit to Machu Picchu! (B, L and D / Hotel).
NOTE: For those that wish to take the train from the hydroelectric station to Aguas Caliente instead of hiking, there will be an additional fee of $30 USD per person. This is a good option for those that are feeling fatigued from the journey or are suffering from some type of discomfort.
Today we will meet our guide at the entrance to the archeological site of Machu Picchu, to begin our two-hour guided tour.
Our guide will take us through the most important constructions and temples of the citadel, both in the agricultural area and the urban area.
At the end of our guided tour, you will have free time to explore Machu Picchu on your own.
You have the options of going back to the aforementioned areas you visited with your guide or you can take of the different hikes that leave from the citadel.
Two less strenuous options are the Sun Gate (Puerta del Sol “INTIPUNKU”) or the Inca bridge. You also have the option of doing one of the more physically challenging hikes, Mt. Huayna Picchu or the Machu Picchu mountain.
Entrance to one of the mountains is included in the package (both subject to availability). Please, consult at the moment of making the reservation.
At the end of your visit you must return to the town of Aguas Calientes via bus or walking, where the train station is located.
This train will travel for two hours leaving Aguas Calientes to the station of Ollantaytambo.
In Ollantaytambo our Lorenzo Expeditions private bus will be waiting to take us to our hotel in Cusco a two hour ride.
End of service of Salkantay Trek.
Inclusions for Salkantay trail
What is included?
- Tours with private guide (Max 08 PAXS).
- 03 nights camping in double tents: EUREKA K2-XT.
- 01 night basic hotel in double or triple accommodation (Aguas Calientes: Hotel Inka Dream)
- Specified Meals (04Breakfast=B, 04Lunches=L and 04Dinners=D – Vegetarian Food upon request)
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu.
- Sprinter or L5 bus mobility from Cusco to Soraypampa
- Return train Aguas calinetes- ollantaytambo
- Mobility on Sprinter bus or L5 from Ollantaytambo to Cusco
- Technical briefcase (duffle bag) where the passenger can send 08kg on packhorse
- Camping equipment:
- Tents: EUREKA K2-XT 04 stations (designed for 4 people but used as double)
- Foam Matrasses with cold insulator
- Inflatable therm-a-rest Matrasses
- Sleeping bag -20 degreese
- Walking sticks black diamond
- Dining tent, tables and chairs
- Bathroom tent and chemical bath
- Support team
- Experienced chef
- Horseman and horses (to transport all the equipment)
- First aid kit.
- Communication radios.
- Horse saddle
- Bus in Machu Picchu.
- Meals on the last day.
- Huayna Picchu or Mountain Machu Picchu hike.
Salkantay Trek Availability and Departures
Recommendations to take.
- Small backpack from 30 to 60 liters.
- Shoes for the hike.
- Mosquito repellent (25% Deet).
- T- shirts, pants and / or leggings.
- Hat or cap.
- Bathing suit and sandals.
- Warm clothing .
- Waterproof clothing .
- Personal medicines
- Flash light.
- Original passport.
- BRIEFING. A day before the tour, Lorenzo Expeditions holds a meeting where we will give you all the details of our trip. We will also meet our guides and all the participants of the expedition. Our meeting will take place at the Estancia Imperial restaurant, located on Calle Suecia 320, where we will also offer welcome snacks.
- CAMPING TEAM: Rest is essential for an expedition of this type for which Lorenzo Expeditions fully committed to your safety and comfort to choose the best and most complete camping equipment, all of the highest range.
- Tents: Eureka K2-XT brand 4 stations designed for 04 people where only 02 passengers will sleep for greater comfort, all are thermal and waterproof.
- Mattresses: Lorenzo Expeditions unlike other operators includes 02 types of mats, one of foam that serves to isolate the passenger from the ground and the other is an inflatable mattress brand Therm-a-rest (neo air trekker).
- Sleeping bag: Specially designed to withstand the climates of this route.
- Canes: These will be very helpful to complete the hike, the sticks that Lorenzo Expeditions provides are brand BLACK DIAMOND model TRAIL PRO SHOCK TREKKING POLES.
- A Duffle bag (walk briefcase): You will be given a duffle bag the day of our group meeting (day before the tour) in which you can pack up to 08 kg of your luggage with our team of Porters, this duffle bag is taken from camp to camp
- Dining tent: designed in waterproof fabric for the tranquility of our customers during all our meals.
- Carp bathroom with portable toilet: both for the exclusive use of our group, maximum 08 people per bathroom tent.
- Kitchen Tent: Used only by our professional chefs to prepare the most delicious foods.
- Tables and chairs.
- Complete kitchen utensils.
- LODGE: Rest is essential during a trip for which we have chosen comfortable, clean and safe Lodge of the route, it have private bathroom, hot water and towels.
- GUIDES: This staff is carefully recruited and selected to be trained and adapted to the service culture of Lorenzo Expeditions.
- Our guides are the most competitive in the area and they all work with us permanently (more than 8 years). They are certified and certified professionals by the government and are constantly trained by national and international entities for a better development in the different areas of action and situations. The maximum number of passengers per guide is 10.
- FEEDING. In recent years, Peruvian cuisine has positioned itself among the best in the world. Thinking about it, our executive chef has designed a balanced menu. We have vegetarian menus, celiacs and menus with food restrictions.
- TRANSPORTS. We have modern units (Sprinter L5 for long routes and smaller vehicles for short sections), equipped and with experienced and trained drivers.
- CERTIFICATIONS. Our 2018 certifications:
- First Aid International Red Cross.
- First aid in remote locations American Safety & Health Institute.
- RESCUE TEAM. In the event of contingencies and contingencies, Lorenzo Expeditions has aresponse plan and personnel trained in rescue work.
- ZIP LINE. The cost is US $ 35 per person.
- EXTRA NIGHT IN AGUAS CALIENTES. If you want to stay an extra night in the town of Aguas Calientes, you must communicate it at the time of making your reservation, otherwise you would have to assume the penalties for changing train tickets. In addition, to stay an extra night, you will automatically lose the transport from Ollantaytambo to Cusco. To arrange a private transport, please contact our sales area.
- SIMPLE ACCOMMODATION. All expeditions operated by our company include accommodation in tents or double and triple rooms. We will do our best to match you with another member of the same sex in our group. If you want individual accommodation, the cost is an additional US $ 50. You must request this service at the time of making the reservation.
- HORSEBACK. This option is for passengers who do not feel physically capable of completing the established routes per day. For US $ 130, we offer you an extra horse that you can ride if you feel exhausted. You can also use these animals to carry more luggage than established by the company (8 kg). Remember that this service is only for the first three days.
- UP-GRADES. The following services can only be personalized during the reservation process, otherwise any penalty or additional cost will be entirely assumed by you:
- Upgraded hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Upgraded train service
- Change in date or train schedule
Salkantay Trek Reviews
By Thomas G – Trip Advisor
- We recommend consulting availability before making the deposit.
- Consider that this is only a PARTIAL PAYMENT, the final price of the tour can be requested via email.
- This partial payment is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- This transaction has an additional cost which is specified in the negotiation email.
For more details write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have problems making a deposit on our system, click here to use another option.